My life as a mommy :)

Friday, July 6, 2012

Konnor's Birth Story...

As I lay here with my sweet two month old sleeping on my chest I realized I never wrote his birth story. Sorry for the delay but here we go ladies :)

I went to the doctor on April 17 and set up an induction date for April 23 however, Konnor had plans of his own. Sunday, April 22 around 9 pm, I started having extreme lower back pain that was coming and going. Me and Justin timed them and they were 4 minutes apart. We decided to stay home and try to sleep them off since I had to be at the hospital at 6 am anyways. Needless to say, I slept a total of 1.5 hours that night due to pain, excitement and nervousness.

We got to the hospital at 5:30 to do paperwork. Once I was admitted to a room, I was hooked up to the monitor and it was confirmed I was in active labor! My contractions were 3 minutes apart. I was 3 cm dilated and 100 % effaced. I was hooked up to poticin (spelling) and the contractions got stronger. They checked me every 3 hours but my progress was very slow. At 6 pm that night, 12 hours later, I was finally to a 6 so I got the epidural then.

Due to gaining so much weight in my belly two bones were pushed together in my back which made doing my epidural extremely hard for my doctor and very painful for me. my doctor attempted to do my epidural 8 times and she finally got it. They gave it 30 minutes then broke my water. I felt it all! So they came back an hour later to do it again with success on the first try, I felt amazing then!!

At 1 am, Tuesday morning, April 24, all of my pains were back and I felt every intense contraction. My doctor could not figure out why until they done test and determined due to high blood pressure and swelling my body was not able to receive the epidural completely. They decided to give me pain meds through my iv to help with the pain.

My doctor came back at 7:30 am I was to a 10!!! It was time to push!!! My sweet precious Konnor Bryant Gilbert was born at 8:18 am weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and 20 1/2 inches long. That's right I was in labor 34 hours!!!

I didn't get to see Konnor, hold Konnor or even hear konnor cry before he was taken to NICU. I was in tears! I wantedto see my baby, I wanted to know he was okay. Konnor's lungs were not mature enough and he was purple when he came out, he never cried or anything. He was hooked up to a monitor and his oxygen level wad at 82. Justin was allowed to go in and see Konnor and hold him right after they hooked him up. At 10 am I was finally allowed to see him. He was not allowed to eat until his oxygen stabilized a little more so I pumped to have some built up for him. Around 8 pm, it was up to 90 and he was allowed to eat finally!!!

On Thursday at 4 pm, konnor was taken off his oxygen because his levels were perfect!!!! But he had jaundice so he was put on the color bed, but was allowed to be in the room with us!!! :) it was amazing knowing he was getting better due to God's grace.

I was released Thursday night but our hospital allows you to stay as long as your baby has to, I was just no longer given meds or food. On Friday night, his doctor said he was cleared to go home!!! Konnor was finally brought home at 10 pm that night and it was the greatest feeling to be at home as a family :)

Konnor is still monitored for his breathing and they think he may have asthma but other than that his lungs are fine and perfect! They just said some little boys are lazier with their breathing. Sorry it took so long to write this but I've been to busy cuddling with my sweet prince :)

I've already posted these pictures but I'm posting them again for his birth story :)

No comments: