My life as a mommy :)

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Let Lent Begin...

Starting tomorrow I will be participating in something called Lent.

Lent in the Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Conventionally, it is described as being forty days long, though different denominations calculate the forty days differently. The forty days represent the time that, according to the Bible, Jesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan.



Why should I participate in this journey?
This is a season of self-denial and I think it will be truly rewarding. People I have talked to that have done it in the past say that that it is very amazing experience and especially helps you have a better perspective and appreciation on Easter Sunday.



Ideas of things to "Give Up"
Video Games
Alcohol
Soda
Coffee
Credit cards
Gossip
Internet, for pleasure
Junk food
Meat
Sweets
Shopping, for pleasure
Smoking
Television

I am giving up Soda and Sweets because those are my two biggest weakness. I realize it will be hard but I have to remember that the things I am giving up are very little, particularly nothing compared to what Jesus sacrificed. I encourage others to celebrate our wonderful Savior's love with me :)



Joel 2:12-14
Yet even now, says the Lord,
Return to me with all your heart,
With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
Rend your hearts and not your clothing.
Return to the Lord, your God,
for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love,
and relents from punishing.
Who knows whether he will not turn and relent,
and leave a blessing behind him,
a grain-offering and a drink-offering
for the Lord, your God?
God Bless :)

No comments: